Built in 1903, the Alberta Hotel was the most advanced Edmonton hotel of its day. Prime Minister Laurier overnighted on his visit to inaugurate Alberta as a Province in 1905. In 1984 the hotel was demolished to make way for ‘Canada Place’, and its brick, sandstone, cupola and cornice saved.
This project, fifty feet west of the original hotel, reconstructed the facades, using the original brick and stone. A new steel structure behind the façade provides 50,000 sq ft of commercial space. The hotel bar is reconstructed using salvaged interior artifacts, including original mirrors, wall tiles and ceiling sections. The former Rothesay Building facade, also salvaged, is integrated into the building along a pedestrian walkway joining Jasper Avenue to the Arts District.
Roof terraces overlooking the river valley to the south set the new façade back, so only the historic façade is visible from Jasper Avenue. The new commercial space facing north emphasizes transparency and openness the triple glazing serves to explicitly differentiate between the new and the historic facades.
The Alberta Hotel was sold to CKUA who occupy the majority of the building and lease out the restaurant and bar.